Sunday, November 4, 2007

Day 5 - Premature Judgement?

Yesterday my wife and I were filling up our gas tank :( and saw a couple of teenagers that looked like they could be trouble makers. Before the impulse to lock our doors hit, we remembered our commitment to react with love in all circumstances. How wrong it is to pass judgement without really having all the information. We very rarely have all the information. There were several times during the day where it would have been very easy to judge others around us who may not have "looked" lovable. Whether it be the clothes they were wearing, the smells they were emitting, or just the look on their face. We found ourselves checking our thoughts often and trying to give others the benefit of the doubt.

What a difference it would make in the world if we could each live without the fear of others looking down their nose at us! To be accepted for who we are. People do not generally change unless they feel cared about by someone. Let us each be the person who cares for someone and looks past the imperfections we ALL have.

6 comments:

Holly said...

I'm totally guilty of this. I usually make the premature judgments but then I don't act on them because I don't want to make people feel bad. However, I'm still thinking it and that sucks. My goal is going to be to not even think it. To look at everybody with love and compassion, and always try to think about what I can do to help someone rather than just hiding what I'm really thinking. You guys are so awesome. I'm really glad you're doing this. I've been so inspired by Bryce and Tammy's fight against melanoma, and the fact that Tammy will continue to fight and educate people. I love that we all get the chance to participate in our own little ways. I miss Brycey so much, but he will live on through all of us continuing his legacy through service. Thanks!

Love,
Holly

gunnfam said...

I guess you could say we are now native californians because we had our car broken into and some stuff stolen. But after the first initial anger wore off, I found myself trying to find the "love" in this situation. We counted our blessings that our family was safe, that they left the baby trailer, and that it was just things. Family and people are what is important. The thugs could have vandalized our car a lot more, we're grateful they just busted the window.

Anonymous said...

It has been fun to have this challenge to talk to people about. I have told the ladies I exercise with at Curves every morning and invited them to also take the challenge to be kind and loving. Yesterday was a Super Saturday for my ward and I shared many of the experiences of the last week with some friends during lunch. Today I got to teach the Relief society lesson and I talked about having a heart like His. I started by telling about Bryce and Tammy. Then I went through scriptures showing the ways Christ was loving in his personality. I ended with inviting others to learn about 100 days of love. I had many opportunities today to interact with people who are having hard times. I love looking at them with the eyes of love and support so they feel good about themselves.

Unknown said...

I will do this! I check this blog every day and it has changed my life. I have been to afraid to comment but know that if others didn't comment I wouldn't be growing so here goes my first time blogging. Judging others is so easy and this is something I will work on. Thanks Sandee

Jenn said...

What a bad day for this one! Not really, but it was fast and testimony meeting yesterday (Day 5) and I had read this before hand and thought it would help me be less judgemental at church. It didn't help, I was still a jerk! I guess it truely does take time to perfect these things, but at least I am aware of where I need the most work! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

My favorite friend at college one time reminded me, after I had been critical of someone, "well, they may not like the way you look either." Be aware of judging harshly, because you may be judged harshly in the same way. I think it is along the lines of my grandmother who taught us to treat others the way we wish to be treated!! Thank you for your inspiration Tammy and Bryce - it is definately having a "ripple effect" on so many of us!!!