Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Day 15 - Love Surpasses Awkward Moments

I was watching a speaker on television yesterday and he shared a story that I think is an awesome example of love. There was a couple young men who decided to serve at an old folks home. One of the young men brought a violin to play. As he played, the notes became sweeter and more beautiful. This was a special treat for those in the audience. At times, when people get older, their inhibitions and sense of appropriateness tends to wear off. In the middle of the performance, in a rather loud voice, an older woman exclaimed, "I'm cold." Calmly and gently, the other young man stood up from the front of his room, walked to the old lady, took off his jacket and placed it on her. This simple act of service dispelled and strengthened a potentially awkward situation.

May we all strive to show love, even when we may feel awkward or out of place. This is where the true growing takes place.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I think attitude determines whether a situation is uncomfortable or not. I had a similar experience in a "rest home". I was playing the violin for a church program that was being shared with the residents, and there was a man in a wheelchair who was sitting very close to me, and while I was playing he reached out and poked me. Then he poked me again. One of the nurses came to move him, and he started to wheel himself back over toward me (then they moved him much farther away). I was honestly very surprised not to mention startled, when he poked me. But I think when we learn to look at others through the Savior's eyes, and try to change our perspective, these kinds of things become funny things that happened. Then you tuck the experience away in your arsenal of moments when you felt the Love of the Lord in your life. I'm really trying to see the world through "love-colored glasses". It's amazing how much love we can feel from the Lord when we reach out to others and love them.

Jenn said...

I had a similar lesson on this early in life. We used to volunteer to take the sacrament to a retirement home in my ward in my youth. We would prepare talks and songs and the wholw works. And spend a little time with this lovely group of elderly people. One of the older ladies names was Mini and it always had to be planned out that we would have some oen sitting by Mini to take her hand if she got out of control. And I remember her yelling out during prayer and being very vocal through out. And I watched week after week the youth taking her hands into there own and just letting her know we cared. It was a great experiance and it sure makes you feel good to be a comfort for some one.