Sunday, November 25, 2007

Day 26 - Accepting Differences

As I sat around today I observed that there is such a wonderful range of personalities and beliefs amongst us. Some of these personalities are quite different than mine, and in my still limited capacity for unconditional love I ignorantly thought that my personality and beliefs were "better." My mind was going to that unloving place (i.e. critical, judgemental, not understanding) that I don't really enjoy being in. Thankfully I stopped myself and recognized that differences are not a measure of the quality of a person. We all grew up in different circumstances, whether we had the same parents or not. Instead, I started to accept the differences, and to find the good in each person. It felt better to be in this mind set and to feel greater love. It is not always easy to catch ourselves being distant because of our differences, or to always be accepting of them, but it is always worth it.

I hope we can all realize that differences are not all bad, sometimes they are just differences. If we learn to accept them we can push forward in our relationships with greater love.

No comments: